Thursday, January 27, 2011

Chore Time

In past posts I have deliberately kept away from posting about daily happenings- But- this is so funny to me that I had to share it!
Our family has had its share of trouble with chore time. Well, not so much chore time per se, but the dividing of all the chores.
During a recent conversation with my oldest daughter, she was sharing how, um, sick and tired she was of kitchen duties EVERY DAY!!!
Wanting to connect with her heart and make strides in our mother/daughter relationship, I cried out to the Lord for a new idea for our family. Something that would fit our needs.
By this time you are wondering what is so funny...patience is a virtue, and reading is good for you too.
The next morning I sat at my computer and typed into a nice, orderly, two column format, a list of all jobs that must be done on a daily basis.
After printing this, I cut out each job into little strips. Then, I took envelopes and wrote each child's name on it, took a deep breath, and called ten children to my side!
They came arunnin'. Carefully, I handed each child their envelope, told them we were going to auction off the chores for the day. No money involved, just work!
I held up the first job and read it off, asked who wanted it! You should have seen them! Eager, (read LOUD) voices clamored for the first job to put in their "chore pack" envelope!
We finished "auctioning" off all the chores for the day and the children let out a whoop and ran to do them! They had the privilege of choosing their work for the day! (in case you were wondering, the big girls chose jobs other than kitchen duty)
The next day went as well as the first. Everything was going wonderful, until today came along...
My third born child decided to throw a monkey wrench into our plan. He got up this morning and raced to do the chores that used to be "his". Oh, the howls of dismay that went up, when the other children found out that some of the jobs were already done!
I listened as my oldest son threatened his little brother, "If you make that bed again, and clean up that room...I'll do all your jobs tomorrow and you won't get ANY JOBS to do!!! "

Now, this is the sound of success!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, that was the best!! I can just hear them!
    lol Im still trying to collect myself from laughing! Love you!

    ReplyDelete