Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A quote for you...

There is a book written by George MacDonald originally published in 1879 as Sir Gibbie. It is now titled "The Baronet's Song". When I was a little girl my mom read this book to my sister and myself, oh, how we loved it!
Now, as an adult and mother, I've been reading it to my children. What a joy it has been to make this precious story come alive for them, and listen to them grasp the deep truths!
Sir Gibbie is a mute boy, who loves the Lord Jesus. This is a little quote that blessed me last night as I was reading to the children.
"In obedience to the suggestion of his wife, Mr. Sclater did what he could to show Sir Gilbert how mistaken he was in imagining he could fit his actions to the words of our Lord.
But in talking thus to Gibbie, the minister but rippled the air. He was too familiar with truth. The unseen Lord and His reported words were to Gibbie realities. He had never resolved to keep the words of the Lord; he just kept them. The effect of it all upon Gibbie was to send him to his room to his prayers, more eager than ever to keep the commandments of Him who had said, "If ye love me...." Comforted then and strengthened, he went down to go to Donal."

As I live from moment to moment, am I "resolving" to obey the words of the Lord? Or, am I simply KEEPING them? A verse we quote often around our house is James 4: 17.
"Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin."
Allowing the Word of God to change me, instead of trying to fit it into my preconceived ideas of right and wrong, good and bad. Not my way, but His way! Not my will, but His will!

1 comment: