Thursday, February 18, 2010

Abiding

" I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." John 15:5

Am I trying to accomplish things for God, or is He working through me?
This morning I read this little line, "Let me not seek out of Thee what I can only find in Thee, peace and rest and joy and bliss, which abide only in Thy abiding joy."

As I go about my day there are so many moments of feeling like I'm just not accomplishing enough...our precious Lord reminded me today that it isn't how much is done that He is concerned about. It is how much I am communing with Him, how much I am resting in Him.
Now, there is a contrast: feverishly working, or resting.

The other thought that came to me, is the question of the value of all I do.
The things I accomplish may bring praise to me, (from people) but is it bringing forth fruit? Not if I am not abiding in Christ.
Jesus will take the simplest task as a sacrifice of praise when done in Him. Then my attention will be focused on Christ, not on what/how much is "accomplished".


Jesus, I am resting, resting,
In the joy of what Thou art;
I am finding out the greatness
Of Thy loving heart.
Thou hast bid me gaze upon Thee,
And Thy beauty fills my soul,
For by Thy transforming power,
Thou hast made me whole.

O, how great Thy loving kindness,
Vaster, broader than the sea!
O, how marvelous Thy goodness,
Lavished all on me!
Yes, I rest in Thee, Belovèd,
Know what wealth of grace is Thine,
Know Thy certainty of promise,
And have made it mine.

Simply trusting Thee, Lord Jesus,
I behold Thee as Thou art,
And Thy love, so pure, so changeless,
Satisfies my heart;
Satisfies its deepest longings,
Meets, supplies its every need,
Compasseth me round with blessings:
Thine is love indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment